Great Sandhills Railway strives to be a leader in rail safety within Saskatchewan and Western Canada. Through active support of Operation Lifesaver and the Western Canadian Short Line Association, GSR has adopted a mandate of ‘safety first’.
To provide high quality short line service while supporting the betterment and safety of the short line industry.
Great Sandhills Railway provides quality short line services to producers and businesses in South Western Saskatchewan, concentrating on high quality and safety to exceed the expectations of customers and the general public.
Safety is a key element of GSR’s strategic planning. Both as an objective for all elements of the operation of the railway, and as a key activity.
The following describes GSR’s key activity ‘safety’:
- Maintain and exceed provincial and federal safety rules, regulations and requirements.
- Maintain excellent safety record
- Contribute in a concrete manner to broader rail safety in Saskatchewan and Western Canada
- Take an active and engaged role in Operations Lifesaver.
- Contribute to the Western Canadian Short Line Association’s safety activities.
- Take part in Rail Safety Week
- Develop and operate a Safety Train in cooperation with Operations Lifesaver to improve awareness of rail safety issues (crossings and other) for the general public, with the goal of reducing injuries and fatalities.